Wednesday, September 26, 2007

31 FLICKS THAT GIVE YOU THE WILLIES: a more official announcement


In an effort to not use the words ‘greatest,’ ‘favorite,’ or ‘best’ in the title of the list we’re compiling with this survey/poll thingy, I have decided to call it (in honor of the criteria Piper over at Lazy Eye Theatre is using to compile his list)

The 31 FLICKS THAT GIVE YOU THE WILLIES. So, I again implore you dear readers, please send in your list of the 31 Flicks That Give You the Willies. And tell your friends that they, too, should send in the list of 31 Flicks That Give Them the Willies. And so on.

Here’s how it’s going to work:

By SATURDAY, OCT. 13 (ohh, Spooky, Saturday the 13th!) you submit your list of the 31 Flicks That Give You the Willies. Films must be feature length and they must be films: no t.v. mini-series allowed. (Sorry, Salem’s Lot fans.) Also, please don’t vote for a series, individual films only. If you want to vote for all three Evil Dead films it’s going to take three votes to do it.

Lists need not be in any particular order, these are nominating lists only. If a film appears on 3 or more lists, it will be nominated. Lists of nominees will be posted as soon as I can possibly get to it, and then the voting begins. We’ll talk more about the voting lists (which will be ranked) and the deadlines for them when the time is right. It will probably be a few days before the end of the month, so the final list can be published on Halloween.

Thanks to everyone who is participating in this. If you’re planning on submitting a list, drop me a line in the comments if you haven’t done so. I’ve received four completed nominating lists already! The first three lists only had one film listed on all of them, but after the fourth lists came in, five more films were nominated. The lists have been fascinating so far, and I can’t wait to see more.


23 comments:

Greg said...

Stop it man, you're giving me the willies.

Okay, so if I read you correctly we should only be submitting short subjects and tv movies. Got it.

Okay I'll stop now. Man I have such a stack of horror dvds built up right now it looks like the Leaning Tower of Pisa next to my tv. I'll get you my list (of feature length non-tv movies) as soon as I can. And in my upcoming Oscar posts I'm proud to say that I will finally be giving top honors to some horror/sci-fi - just in time for Shocktober.

Eddie Hardy said...

Jonathan:

Few in the world have mastered the art of in-print sarcasm with as much prowess as yourself.

I look forward to your list!

Glenn Dunks said...

I'm shooting you an e-mail right now.

PIPER said...

Ed,

The exclusion of Salem's Lot is hard because that's a fantastic movie.

PIPER said...

Also, I just posted my definition of horror for the Willie List.

Eddie Hardy said...

Kamikaze camel:

Thanks for the entry. Your nominations have been logged.

Piper:

Many would agree with you about SALEM'S LOT--a lot of younger fans are bitching that they can't include IT.

Clay McClane said...

Hey, now - I'm gonna submit a list my own self.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'd like to nominate the German film "Funny Games."

Eddie Hardy said...

Craig: Thanks for jumping on board with the Willie List!

Monkey: Only one film? Are you sure you don't have thirty more choices lingering back there?

By the way, FUNNY GAMES is technically Austrian. But soon it will be American and it will star Naomi Watts.

Unknown said...

I'd love to submit a list . . . where do I send it?

Eddie Hardy said...

Brother D: You can e-mail me at EdHardyJr@gmail.com. Thanks for your interest.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ed: Here's my list - http://www.coffeecoffeeandmorecoffee.com/archives/2007/10/post_12.html

Steve Langton said...

Hi,
you have a truly excellent blog. I picked up on it via a plug in Jeremy's wonderful Moon In The Gutter.
Just emailed you a list of my 31 movies.

Keep up the good work.

dana said...

I am certainly going to send you a list!

Eddie Hardy said...

Steve:

Thanks for the kind words!

magick mike said...

here's my list!
http://esotika.blogspot.com/2007/10/31-films-that-give-you-willies.html

Eddie Hardy said...

Mike: Thanks for your participation. Interesting list--yours is one of the ones with the most titles I need to see.

Anonymous said...

hey ed. great idea... my list is on its way...

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! How much freakin' fun is this? I just submitted my list and actually found it kind of hard to narrow all of the flicks that give me the willies down to 31. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Not to get start picking the semantic nits, as he limbers up his nit picking wrists, but there's a world of difference between "31 Fave Horror Films" and "31 Films that give you the Willies", no?

"Evil Dead II" / "Bride of Frankenstein" / "Return of the Living Dead" are all treasured "horror" flicks (if we must genre them), but hardly "willie" giving.

Films that disquiet, movies that make one uneasy, unclean (in the morally defiled sense)...radically different list.

So which is it? Or why not do both, compare and contrast the different lists. Interesting to see which would make both...

Eddie Hardy said...

Benny: Why not do both? Because time, energy and sanity are dear to me.

As far as how a "horror" film and one that "gives you a willie" is different, check out the conversations going on over at Bleeding Tree and Lazy Eye Theatre (amongst other locations) on the definition of horror.

Anonymous said...

I will provide a list.

celinejulie said...

I just sent my list to your e-mail, and will also post it in my blog soon. :-)