Monday, September 24, 2007

Bunuel-a-thon, non; Dali, si!


Today begins the Luis Bunuel Blog-a-thon hosted by Flickhead. Although I have been displaying its banner and took in viewings of Un Chien Andalou and L'Age Dor just for the occasion, I will not be writing anything for it. As I mentioned in a comment over at Flickhead recently, as a critic, I'm a narrative analyst. I loved Bunuel's early Surrealist collaborations with Salvador Dali, I just don't have anything to say about them. Too bad I didn't choose to re-watch The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, That Obscure Object of Desire, or one of my other favorites that have been enchanting me and boggling my mind over the years. Ah, well...

One thing before I go: I highly recommend the docs included on the Un Chien Andalou DVD. Bunuel's son gives a long and illuminating interview about Bunuel's relationship with Dali, how it started and where it went wrong. He sometimes refers to Dali as "the mustache," which never fails to tickle me.

Above: Dali's portrait of Bunuel, painted in 1924 while at Academy.

No comments: